I wonder, how can we reuse plastic to make our school grounds better? Beth wyt ti'n meddwl?
L.O: To investigate different materials and processes that are more environmentally friendly.
BEFORE WE START THE IQ, WE NEED TO MEASURE THE WOODEN FRAME OF THE CHAIR! DON'T FORGET TO MAKE NOTES!
1. Read/listen to the story, 'The adventures of a Plastic Bottle'. What can you learn about how plastic is recycled?
Find three examples of what plastic can be recycled and turned into?
Summarise the life of plastic in four stages:
Use words and pictures to help explain!
1. Where does the life of plastic begin?
2. How is plastic made?
3. How is plastic recycled?
4. What can plastic be made into?
Create a story map of 'The life of a Plastic Bottle'.
2. Using the picture of a wooden frame, draw a prototype of a chair made out of plastic bottles.
Draw a sketch of the wooden frame. Where would you add the plastic bottles? Show this on your diagram.
Add measurements of the wooden frame to your diagram.
Calculate how many bottles and how much wire is needed to complete the chair.
To draw your diagram - use plain paper, a ruler and a pencil!
Always measure at least twice!
3. Create a poem about recycling plastic!
Create an acrostic poem about recycling, using the word 'PLASTIC'.
Create an acrostic poem about recycling, using the word 'RECYCLING'.
Make the poem rhyme!
4. Our World in Data. Organise the plastic data so it can be easily understood. Think about how your digital skills might help!
Click the image below for some ideas!!
What fields could you include in a database?
Country? Flag? Amount of plastic? Anything else?
5. Around the world disposing of plastic is causing huge problems. What impacts does this have on the environment?
The images below each chilli will lead you to research to help answer the question!
What impact does plastic have on our oceans?
Research the impact that burning plastics has on our environment.
Create a simple table showing the positives and negatives of plastics.
Create a piece of advertisement to promote the message ‘reduce, reuse, recycle!’
Think poster, video, song…!