Meet the Eco Hero Team!
Our Mission: "To encourage re-use, reduce and recycle across the whole school and community"
The outdoor environment that surround Llanrhidian School are ideal Eco opportunities that can be further developed, shared and celebrated with the school and community.
Meet our amazing Eco Heroes
Eco Heroes 2020
20 Outdoor Thing's to do at home
#LlanEco #LlanOut News!
What our final monitoring told us about this year Eco and Outdoor targets.....
Target 1 - Further develop outdoor learning across the school.
We feel that we have had more outdoor lessons this year. When we looked on Twitter with Mrs Joseph we saw a lot more outdoor lessons happening in all pods. #LlanEco #LlanOut #LlanHealth. We know this because we made and carried out a survey about outdoor learning where 52 children responded. 100% said that they enjoy outdoor learning and 100% said that they had had more opportunities to work outside. They also gave us lots of ideas to try out in the year.
Target 2 - Develop a consistent approach to outdoor learning across all of the Pods that also challenged our skill levels.
In our meetings, Mrs Joseph told us that she has being going to meet with other schools to work on this in Gowerton. On our school website you can find different types of outdoor activities that we worked on together with Mrs Joseph, for different ages or skill levels that we could choose from. The older Pod decided they wanted to record their outdoor work in a collaborative book so that they could up level their skills and also develop their teamwork skills too!
Target 3 - Develop our school further with our Eco messages and encourage recycling and SDG targets.
We have all had training on the SDG targets and constantly refer to them in our work. We asked Pod PryCop if they thought using a collaborative book in small groups was useful, they said that it encouraged them to work productively together. They all said they would like to do it again on other outdoor projects.
-We have had weekly meetings because there was a lot to discuss and organise . We started in September with creating an Eco timetable to help us organise our roles within the school.
- In November we wrote to the Gower Society to apply for an outdoor grant of £500 which we decided together the things we would like to use in the outdoors.
- In December our main focus as an Eco Group was to promote less Christmas wrapping and to use biodegradable and natural materials found in the woodlands to decorate parcels. We promoted during assemblies and posted on the website and on Twitter.
- In February we applied to update our Eco Platinum Award in which we were successful. We enjoyed meeting with Mathew from Welsh Eco Schools as he listened to all our ideas and plans that we have for the school.
Our next steps :
We would like to work closer with the community to encourage practical uses of our local area.
plan 1 will be to link with a local community vegetable growing group CSA
plan 2 will be to design signs/ posters to encourage visitor to the area to fill their water bottles at community shops to help reduce plastic.
The ECO HERO team asked the pupils, community and governors about their ideas during our school SDP day.
The team decided to encourage parents to use recyclable Christmas wrappers using recyclable paper and natural objects to decorate them.
Eco encouraged recycling school uniform and Christmas jumpers
Our collaborative books helped us work together and up level our skills
The ECO HERO group wrote an application for a grant to the Gower Society and were lucky enough to be successful ! The ECO HERO group are now in the process of discussing how they would like to use the £500 grant.
Well done ECO HEROES
Open to all pupils in year 4, 5 and 6
- To organize planting day
- Hold regular assemblies
- Carry surveys to gather views of pupils
- Apply for grants to help us improve our grounds
- To ensure our grounds are used sustainably
- To ensure learners understand how best to recycle
- To minimize single use plastic