Public Health Wales - Information for Parents 210920
Welsh Government - Operational Guidance for Schools Autumn 2020
Letter from the Director of Education 04.06.20
Message from the Director of Education // Neges gan y Cyfarwyddwr Addysg
We have already been working closely with schools and other partners to plan for a safe re-opening of schools in Swansea.
Now that the Minister has announced the Welsh Government’s intentions we will continue this work to finalise our arrangements and when ready, schools will be contacting parents and carers directly.
We will also be publicising our plans and will have a helpline available for parents and carers well before the planned opening date. We will have consistent guidelines and will be utilising these once they are received from Welsh Government. We will also be sharing further guidance from the Welsh Government on managing facilities and logistical arrangements.
The key points that the Minister has said are:
- All schools are to re-open from June 29 for a trial and transition period.
- Pupils may need to be brought into schools in very small groups due to social distancing and it is anticipate that no school would have any more than a third of pupils in school at any one time.
- The plan is to extend the remaining term by one week that means schools will be open for 4 weeks before the summer break.
- All schools are being asked to make available a check in and catch-up session for every child to attend over the 4 week period.
- Attendance will be voluntary and there will be not be any fines should pupils not attend.
- From June 29 the children of key or front line workers will attend their normal school.
Since schools closed in March the majority in Swansea have been operating as emergency childcare hubs providing childcare for around 500 vulnerable young people or pupils whose parents are key workers and this will continue in the meantime.
Distance learning via the Swansea Virtual School and other channels used by our schools during the lockdown will also continue.
Thank you for your continued support as we continue to respond to these challenging times.